Saturday, August 23, 2008

Stinger


So this little sucker is called a Velvet Ant or "Cow Killer." They are part of the wasp family but do not have wings. They are not supposed to be crawling around your classroom floor when you are trying to organize posters. I was on the carpet and all of the sudden it felt like my foot rolled over a prickly fern. I looked down and saw this one inch creature scurrying away from me. My pain turned from prickly, to tingly, to BURNING! Nobody in the building recognized it so I googled it and read about it because I didn't want to DIE. This guy from work freaked me out cuz he was like, "Those colors mean danger. You might be in trouble." It's nicknamed a Cow Killer because it's sting is so painful it could kill a cow. Luckily, I'm not a cow and I'm going to live. My foot is red and swollen though. Should I go for workers comp? Just in case you didn't feel sorry for me yet here is a picture of it's stinger.

3 comments:

Carly said...

Ouch! that would be painfull. I definitly think you should claim workers comp! :)

Mandy said...

At least you found out that you aren't a cow...there are blessings in all things :)

Andrea said...

Dang! Sorry! That must have HURT! Ahh we have so many wasps around hear. I think I will have to do a post about that....anyways HOW ARE YOU FEEELING??